Saturday 21 December 2013

Watching the snow fall and fall and fall..............

Yesterday +Georg Tirebiter mentioned to be cautious about allowing "my brain to write cheques that my body can't cash."  I had encountered the expression somewhere, sometime, but I never really thought about what it meant, being young and fit and immortal.  I recognized it immediately and knew exactly what he meant.  What made it interesting was how it was so perfect for the day. Yesterday was a landmark day, a day where the lesson of the day must be learned right now if I have intentions of living a little longer.  Even a month ago if I exerted too much, too fast, I could adjust, recover by using my breathing tricks and generally keep myself out of danger.  Yesterday I got caught three times severely out of breath and was on the edge of not being able to recover. I figure that is because my lung or lungs is/are close to collapsing before I am aware it is happening. While that is going on I can feel my heart overloaded and complaining. I can push myself into oblivion. I probably should actively avoid that.  Georg had impeccable timing with those words.  It might even be life rule # 1.

I wanted to do a bunch of different chores like vacuuming and tidying up so Nicole would be free to play with her Smuf village under the tree.  After the two hour wake up period where I eat and breathe all those prescriptions, have a tea and attempt to manage my body as it goes from sleep state to waking state, I know how I feel.  Normally when I decide to lay low for the day there is a certain amount of guilt.  Not today.  I stared the guilt down and beat it with a stick.  

I made some maple almond brittle today from an old Gourmet Magazine recipe from the mid 90's.  I found it online rather than sort through a dozen years worth of my old magazines.  It turned out better than ever.  I think experience counts with this recipe.  I think I have done it twenty times or more.  I toasted the slivered almonds perfectly, the candy boil was slow and spot on.  It is really good.  I also made shortbread dough.  It be chilling in the fridge.  Tomorrow I will made a few types of cookies that I like to make for Christmas.  I did what I could do, and what I wanted to do today.  My most amazing wife Nicole right beside me all the way.  It's all good.  It really is.











No comments:

Post a Comment