Friday 3 May 2013

I have the results of the PET scan finally and I probably do have a small non virulent cancerous nodule on the top of my left lung.  Non virulent because of the thermal signature of the nodule and cancerous because of the irregular, jagged edges of the nodule.  The Dr. conferred with colleagues at the Jewish General and the course of action is to monitor the growth for now.  Another CT scan in July.  In the meantime, oh joy, my lung transplant application process is now back on track.  The Dr. does not know how this probable cancer diagnosis will affect my suitability for transplant consideration and listing.  Normally a biopsy of my lung would be done but any surgery is too risky says the Dr. and his Dr. friends, my lungs would surely collapse.  So, for now we are going to keep our eye on it and kind of pretend we are not thinking about it.  If at some point the cancer has to be treated there are some new localized types of radiation therapy might be useful.

I have a battery of tests to do now, in the next couple of weeks, echo cardiograms, all kinds of blood work, 24 hr urine tests and lots more. The cool part is they are all related to positioning myself as a lung transplant candidate.  So, back on the treadmill, back on the green, back to work.  I have a road to travel now.  I know where I am going.     I am not in any imminent danger of being consumed.

Nobody could look at me at say "that guy is ill".  I look fit, slim.  I don't have oxygen lines hanging around my neck.  You would never know I am missing more than 80% of the lung capacity I used to have by talking to me or having a meeting with me.  That sometimes makes me feel quite odd in some situations.  I never quite know what to say when someone comments about how I must not really be THAT ill.

I have a lot to digest.  Nicole is very happy.  She calls it cancer lite or something like that.   She heard me ask the Dr. about calcium supplements and liked that I was thinking long term regarding bone loss and prednisone.  Last year something that was going to affect me in ten years was a bit of a joke as far as I was concerned.  Today I had concerns about ten years from now.  Deluded or not?  NOT.    Enough for now.  I want two cookies and a large cold weissbier.

No comments:

Post a Comment