Tuesday 29 April 2014

Have yourself a lovely summer, they said

Dr. A. said while recording notes, about me, very advanced COPD, progressive bilateral emphysema, currently STABLE!  

Stable.

The meeting with Dr. A. and Ester lasted about an hour.  Nothing hurried or rushed.  They are very methodical.  They remember who I am, what is going on with me.  They touch patients.  They listen.  I love these two.

My lung numbers, FEV1 and such, are pretty much unchanged from last time, and the numbers are highest since last spring. 

 We think I had six heart attacks during the spring and summer of last year.   Three times between April and June last year I had what I thought were severe breathing attacks that lasted perhaps an hour or so each that I was able to ride out without losing consciousness. Another took place a week or two before the main event that put me down, I wrote about it in late August.  Then the one that put me in the hospital at the end of August, and another that took place a few days later while I was in the hospital.  None since.  None of them had anything to do with my lungs as I assumed.  Heart attacks they was.  That being said, the latest echocardiogram from February shows modest improvement in the magic number (for the transplant folks) LVEF1.  Dr. A. says I hit 40%.  Dr. Poirier said thats the number I need as a minimum.  I am probably somewhere around borderline.  Questions about building my heart up were politely deflected.  I did not press.  I think they are hopeful.

The tumour, growth, dare I say, cancer, is stable and unchanged over the last year.  Now it has to remain that way for another year before I will qualify for a lung transplant.  I feel confident it will stay that way, and, until I am advised otherwise we shall nevermore call it a cancer.  My lungs have many lesions, this is just another.  No biggie.

Just so we kept on a roll I asked the Dr. please, pretty please, may I have my scans at the Jewish?  Can you please save me from the complete failure to communicate that results every farking time when I get tests at the Lakeshore?  Yes.  Joy.  A cardiologist please.  Yes again.  Everything now happens at the Jewish General.  Everybody on the same page for the rest of my life.  No more wasting months getting information to the right place.  I like that a lot.  Now, even the ambulance goes to the Jewish General.

So, chill for the summer.  Doctors orders.  My high fat ice cream prescription has been refilled.  I gained and maintained eight pounds over the last couple of months, enough to make my BMI peachy perfect.  No appointments for four months.  However I do have immediate access to Dr. A. through Ester if the need arises.

I slept last night right through.  Not a lot has changed since yesterday in reality, but I feel quite a bit different.  I have nothing to do other than keep doing what I have been doing.  Ester called me an iron man yesterday.  Just keep doing what you are doing.  I am far more active and stronger than they would expect, even though it feels otherwise to me.  I have adapted to not being able to get out, but I don't like it.

I doubt I will drive again.  I don't think that would be in anyones best interest.  Fear of losing consciousness while driving will not go away.  Even coughing fits, which happen multiple times a day now, can last a few minutes and are entirely debilitating and come on with no notice.  I so love driving.  I love, love, love driving, anytime, anywhere.  I am done with you.  Thank you Autobhan.  I love you.

This remains a transplant blog.  I had my doubts yesterday morning.  I went to the hospital yesterday to get buried.  The bastards said, not so fast.  

Hello Aunt June.  Hello Sis.  Hi Cousins, nieces, great nieces and nephews.  See ya tomorrow for muscles and beers, Wayno and Wilson.  The quiche was wonderful Lana and Brenda!  Stay safe on the road Gary!  Hello Kimmy!  See you all soon Quebec Lawn Bowlers!  I'll be watching.

LOVE


No comments:

Post a Comment