Thursday 27 February 2014

My day at Notre Dame Hospital transplant unit

We got to the Jewish General on time for my 8 AM appointment for a PFT.  The tech was great and it was not too difficult at all.  I saw Dr. A at about 10.  There were a couple of SNAFU's but they proved to be not serious, just information delayed.  When I set up the CT scan and the echocardiogram, no one told me that I had to physically bring the CD's with me.  I should have realized though. It meant that I still do not know what that little nodule has been up to since last fall, nor do I know what, if any recovery my heart has made.  Dr. A. emphasised not to say tumour when I was in the presence of the transplant doctors later in the day.  Nodule, not tumour.  Say tumor Dr. A said, and you will be tossed instantly. So, no scans for Dr. A until he either gets the report, eventually, or I physically get him the CD's.  There also will be no reports for the doctors at Notre Dame, but Dr. A told me to relax, that is was not really relevant for today.  No problem.  He seemed pleased that I had gotten to knock on the door.  I thanked him and got a follow up appointment for April 11.  He will call me if there is any cause for alarm from the pending test results.  Ain't gonna happen.

We got to Notre Dame two hours early for the 1 PM appointment. Nicole and I went for a bite in the coffee shop and Cecile went off on some personal errands.  At noon I could not wait anymore and we went up to the clinic on the 7th floor.  

When the elevator door opened I stepped out into the realm of the people who might give me a chance to bike and walk and run again.  Everybody was warm and genuine, all of the paperwork was done and ready.  We were ushered into a quiet waiting room and told that we would first see a spirometry tech, then be interviewed by an intern, followed with a visit with a nurse, and then finally an meeting with the director of the program, Dr. Charles Poirier.

Spirometry results matched those that were done earlier in the day. Results were lung volume capacity at 26%.  Actually, a peachy result.  The last couple of times it was around 15%.  

The meeting with the intern was actually fun.  I wish I had wrote down his name, he is a really nice guy.  From Universite de Sherbrooke.  The interview lasted about 45 minutes and covered just about everything you could imagine.  I did not try to steer the interview in any way.  I spoke honestly and frankly.  I did not try to paint myself as a person with no quality of life.  I had to detail what I knew about lung transplants, the stats.  I was questioned at length about my expectations from a lung transplant.  He was impressed and told me that I had done my homework.  I He did not much care that I used cannabis every day as long as I was not smoking it, though it interacted with some of the more than 50 drugs I would have to take post transplant, so I would have to give it up at some point.  I assured him I would.  He told us I met the criteria for transplant as far as the information I had presented with went.  The nodule, my heart and my current quality of life were all issues that would need to be looked at, but as far as a quick interview and review went, he felt I would be able to go on to the next step and be listed for transplant.  This of course was subject to a thorough review of my chart and an interview with Dr. Poirier, both of which would happen shortly.

Nicole and I returned to the waiting room for a short while until the intern returned and told us it was time to meet Dr. Poirier.  We were ushered into the same office as earlier.  Dr Poirier is a warm and charismatic person who makes a strong first impression.  He greeted us warmly and welcomed us.  He was very direct and straight to the point.  My lung condition meets transplant criteria. The nodule has to show two years of no change before they would list me.  My heart is not strong enough to survive the surgery currently.  I would most certainly die on the table.  If that changes, they will list me for a lung transplant.  It would have been nice to have had the CT scan and the echocardiogram for him to read, but it really does not matter.  They will be sent to Dr. Poirier shortly. Dr. Poirier will stay in touch with Dr. A, and Dr. A will stay in touch with Dr. Poirier, both of whom are now in touch with Dr. P, my cardiologist.  If and when I meet the conditions I will get on the list for transplant.  

I left Notre Dame Hospital extremely satisfied.  I  was wise not to build up my hopes unrealistically.  There has been no emotional letdown at all. If the stars align, then they align.    

So, I got some stuff to do.  Pending seeing the cardiologist, which ought to happen in the next few weeks, I am hitting the treadmill hard.  I will start lifting weights again.  Time to visit some transplant forums and find other people in a similar situation to see what I might be able to do to strengthen my heart muscle, if that is in fact possible.  In the moment and positive.  

No comments:

Post a Comment